Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Forgive Me

Ok, now I can show you my painting for the Corey Helford Gallery's group show at Circa this Saturday (7pm-10)! This is "Forgive Me", acrylic on wood measuring 12"x12". I'm kinda getting obsessed with long stringy hair everywhere and I bet I'll be seeing a lot more of that obsession in the coming months as I prepare and begin my new series of paintings for my next solo show in Spring '14. I love the look of David Bowie...and normally I would have chickened out on incorporating that lightening bolt on her face - my thinking would have been that it distracts from the more serious tone I intended for this piece. But I want to be more courageous in my work - and by courageous I mean true to what/how I'm feeling at the moment. That's not too much to ask of myself, and this life isn't gonna go on forever. So. Lightening Bolt it up. Also, in keeping with lightening bolting it up, I had the pleasure of posing for one of my very favorite artists (and friends) Natalia Fabia for her 12"x12" painting (for the same show)! Here's her painting "Rainbow Brandi", oil on wood. I couldn't help but come away from seeing Natalia in action totally inspired. Her passion for life and painting and color and craziness is so contagious, i absolutely love her for it! Painting is such a solitary thing, it's easy to forget how much spending time with other artists can boost your own eagerness to work - even if it's just an afternoon taking pictures. So come get inspired - Saturday from 7pm-10pm at Circa in Culver City!!

No comments: